Are you interested in what is ruby? In this article, we will discuss what is ruby programming language, what are its benefits, how to learn it, etc. in detail. Let’s start.
What is Ruby?
Ruby is a popular open-source programming language. Here are a few interesting facts about it:
- Yukihiro Matsumoto, a Japanese computer scientist, and programmer created the Ruby language.
- His main objective was to create a language that was good for both functional programming and imperative programming. These two are distinct programming paradigms, operating as follows:
- Functional programming caters to a functional approach to problem-solving. Imperative programming requires developers to use statements to change a program’s state.
- Imperative programming is also known as procedural programming. Read more about their difference in “How to wrap your imperative brain around functional reactive programming in RxJava”.
- To achieve his objective, Matsumoto took components of multiple programming languages like Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, and Ada.
- The first release of Ruby was in 1995.
- It is a true object-oriented language. Everything in Ruby is an object. Coders can assign properties and actions to every bit of information. Moreover, Ruby supports instance variable access, etc.
- It’s a dynamically-typed language, i.e., the majority of the type-checking happens during the runtime. Read more about dynamically-typed languages in this Stack Overflow Q&A thread.
- It is a serverside scripting language like Python.
- It is a flexible language. Developers can alter its parts.
- It‘s free to use, modify, and distribute.
- Programmers can attach a closure to any method, and this closure is called a ’block‘. Blocks offer a lot of flexibility.
- A Good number of SDKs and tools are available for web development such as Ruby’s package manager, RubyGems, etc.
A little bit about Ruby on Rails
We can‘t talk about Ruby without touching upon Ruby on Rails. A few interesting facts about it are as follows:
- Ruby on Rails framework is among the popular web development frameworks, built on Ruby.
- David Heinemeier Hansson, a Danish programmer created this open-source framework. The first release was in December 2005.
- Ruby on Rails simplifies web application development. It uses 9 basic principles to achieve this aim, e.g., “Optimize for programmer happiness”, “Convention over configuration”, etc. Read more about these in “The Rails doctrine”, written by Hansson.
- GitHub, Airbnb, Shopify, Twitch, SoundCloud, and Zendesk are a few famous applications built on Ruby on Rails.
Ruby offers quite a few advantages for developers. These are as follows:
- It’s a high-level language, therefore, it handles the machine-level complexities.
- Programmers need to write less code.
- Matsumoto wanted to make programming enjoyable. Ruby originated in Japan, where coders initially used it to create games. It is fun to use, therefore, developers have intrinsic motivation.
- It reads like language, as a result, it‘s easy to learn.
- It‘s a flexible language since there are no hard rules to build features.
- There is a vibrant developer community, therefore, programmers get excellent support.
Read more about these advantages in “Why learn Ruby?”.
Hire expert developers for your next project
The popularity of Ruby
Ruby remains a popular language decades after its‘ release, as the following facts indicate:
- TIOBE index lists it among the top 20 popular programming languages. Read more about this in the “TIOBE index”.
- Ruby on Rails remains a highly favorite web application framework for start-ups. Read “Why do so many startups use Ruby on Rails?” for more details.
How to learn it?
Programmers interested in learning Ruby can take advantage of the following popular Udemy courses:
- “Learn to code with Ruby”: A good tutorial for beginners, this is a comprehensive course. It includes modules on solving common coding challenges with Ruby. The course also shows how to handle strings, arrays, hashes, and other objects.
- “Ruby programming for beginners”: Another popular course, this has source code and sample test files that learners can download. This extensive course also includes an eBook and interactive quizzes.
- “The complete Ruby on Rails developer course”: A highly popular course created and taught by top-rated Udemy instructors, it enables developers to learn Ruby on Rails in detail. It covers prototyping, moreover, it focuses on designing and building web apps.
Planning for your next software application project?
If you are looking forward to developing a software app that stands out in the user market, you can do it successfully using Ruby, given its popularity among startups and businesses.
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
However, to take up your development project efficiently without any waste of resources in terms of cost and time, you must engage a professional software development company with sufficient experience in building innovative software applications using the latest technologies.
If, you as a business CEO or CTO, are still looking for such a competent software development partner, then why not consider the field-expert software developers community at DevTeam.Space. Send us your initial software specification details via this form and one of our account managers will get back to you shortly.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is an open-source and popular programming language for functional and procedural software programming. It can be used for developing web applications, web servers, data analysis, data processing, web scraping, static site generation, etc.
It is a web application framework developed on Ruby.
Founder of DevTeam.Space
Hire Alexey and His Team
To Build a Great Product
Alexey is the founder of DevTeam.Space. He is among the Top 26 mentors of FI’s ‘Global Startup Mentor Awards’ and is a Band Of Angels Technology Expert.Hire Expert Developers