We hope you enjoy reading this article.
If you want our expert developers and designers to work on your online product, click here
Latest posts by Faiza Khalid (see all)
- Banking Software Development End-to-End Guide - 28 May, 2023
- I Have an Idea for an App, Now What? - 23 May, 2023
- How to Leverage AI in Healthcare - 22 May, 2023
Are you interested in developing a recruitment app for your startup or HR professionals in general?
If yes, then you are making a good investment decision, since 68% of hiring professionals believe that their recruiting process has or would become more efficient through the adoption of a specialized digital tool.
In this article, we will discuss how recruitment technology is shaping the hiring market, what types of recruitment software are available today, and how you can build a recruitment app like Recruitee or LinkedIn recruiter.
Why Should You Build a Recruitment App?
Recruitment software makes the hiring process easier for both hiring teams and job seekers. For recruiters, the benefits of recruitment application are:
- Ease-of-use: Employers have better access to recruiting tools and data. Options like one-click for posting job ads, instant messaging to potential candidates, etc., make the process much easier for them.
- Instant feedback and engagement: There are no unnecessary waiting times and useless interactions. Candidates can instantly reply and engage with job postings.
- Better management: Many recruitment apps assist in the end-to-end hiring process from talent hunting for the right candidates to interviewing, feedback, and onboarding. Digital tools help a hiring team in making the recruiting process more organized and error-free.
As a job candidate, an individual can use a recruitment app for:
- Convenience: Candidates can go through the most relevant jobs, all in one place, with a few simple clicks of their mouse.
- Efficiency: One-click CV submission makes the application process to apply for multiple job openings more efficient.
- Familiar Environment: The young talent, who are set to make up more than 25% of the workforce in the next 10 years, are known as the mobile-first generation (Generation Z). Using familiar digital tools for job hunting is second nature to them already.
Due to the above-mentioned benefits, recruitment software is becoming ever-more popular day by day. The following statistics highlight the shifting trend towards digital recruitment.
- The recruitment software market value is expected to reach USD 3.88 billion by 2028.
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to emerge as the fastest-growing market for recruitment software in the forecast period of 2021-2028.
- Over 98% of fortune 500 companies have used recruitment software.
- 94% of recruiters believe that recruitment software has improved the hiring process for them.
- 86% of recruitment agencies accepted that recruitment software helped them hire faster.
- 75% of recruiters are using a recruiting or applicant tracking system (ATS).
What type of Recruitment Digital Tool can you build?
Recruitment software is a digital tool used by hiring managers and talent acquisition professionals to automate or streamline the recruitment process workflow, including functions like talent sourcing, screening, and interviewing candidates, etc.
Types of software for recruitment purposes are:
Candidate Relationship Management (CRM): CRM software focuses on building links with potential job candidates. In this way, it cultivates a rich talent pool eligible for future job openings.
Applicant Tracking System (ATS): An ATS manages candidates’ applications for a particular job opening.
Human Capital Management Software: These are particularly useful today as the remote working model is being adopted by a large number of companies.
Job Boards and Aggregators: A job board is helpful to optimize job listings in one place and have direct applications from candidates.
Video Interviewing Tools: These are becoming very popular as they help to hire managers conduct effective screening of candidates.
Hire expert developers for your next project
Essential Features to Build in a Recruitment App:
Once you have decided on what type of mobile recruitment app you want to develop, the next step is to decide on the must-have features for your recruitment app. The following are some of the essential features of a recruitment app.
These will give you an idea of what you want from your recruitment app developers.
A recruitment app usually has three categories of users and several features specific to each user category.
- Signup/login: For registering as an app user through a mobile number, email address, or social media account.
- Edit Profile: To add necessary information like top skills, work experience, past workplaces, referrals, etc.
- Upload Resume: To upload and update the latest resume.
- Job Filters: To view open positions matching their skillset and experience.
- Job Notifications: To get alerts when recruiters post jobs matching their preferences or when a recruiter wants to connect with them.
- Saved Jobs: To save jobs they are interested in applying to later.
- Register: Same app registration feature as provided in the candidate panel.
- Job Post: To upload available job vacancies with the required expertise and experience included.
- Job Invitation: To invite the best talent to apply for a job post and to schedule candidate interviews.
- Resume Filter: To quickly filter the top talent with the most relevant skill sets.
- Resume Download: To download shortlisted resumes.
- User Management Dashboard: For managing employers, candidates, and all app users’ related data.
- User Profile: For verification of candidate profiles and recruiting company’s authenticity. This excludes fake job listings and users.
- Real-time Analytics: To collect insights on job searching practices, the number of candidates offered jobs through the app, linked recruiters, etc.
- Job Ad Management: To manage all job ads running on the app and third-party platforms.
How to build a Recruitment App?
At this point, you have a clear understanding of the type of recruitment app you want to invest in, along with the required features. Now, you are ready to start the recruitment app development process.
The recruitment app development process will consist of the following stages:
Project Planning and Requirement Gathering:
You should start your app development project by outlining the required software specifications. Your software specifications will contain details on app design, feature development, and maintenance.
Build Software Development Team:
To build a market-competitive product, form a software development team consisting of
- A UI/UX designer;
- Mobile app developers;
- Mobile app testers;
- A project manager.
Set up Application Development Infrastructure:
A mobile application has two components: A front-end application and back-end services supporting the front-end. You will need a scalable infrastructure for your mobile app with no downtime, fast loading speed, and top-notch security, etc.
A good solution is a cloud-based backend as a service. Mobile backend as a service providers manage the backend processes such as API integrations, data storage, server configuration, etc.
Mobile app developers can then focus solely on the application features without worrying about scalability and security.
A widely used MBaaS today is Amazon’s AWS Amplify. It provides a number of features including, authentication, data storage, push notifications, content management, etc.
Select App Development Methodology:
Your software development methodology helps in planning out the design, development, and test phases of application development. For mobile applications, project managers mostly adopt the Agile methodology.
The agile methodology supports the iterative development of mobile applications. It is a suitable approach since it helps developers to deliver a working product to the customers at the end of each development iteration, which then can be approved by the client.
You can implement a framework like Scrum for agile mobile app development. The Scrum framework divides the whole development project into weekly sprints. The scrum master assigns tasks to each scrum member.
Read more on adopting an agile development approach here.
Design App User Interface and Front-end:
Design an interactive app user interface. During the design process, keep in mind users’ needs, preferences, and how to best maintain their engagement.
A top-notch UX/UI will not only build your brand identity but will also bring instant ROI if your customer is satisfied.
Develop a Minimum Viable Product:
You should start by building your recruitment app’s core features. This will be your minimum viable product or MVP. Consider the following technical expertise before building a first-rate mobile app.
Web Application Development
The following skills are required for web app development:
To develop an optimized recruitment app that works on browsers with the best possible performance, your developers should be experts in frameworks like Angular and platforms like Node.js.
These JS libraries speed up the app development process.
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
Mobile Application Development
Mobile app development requires expertise in the following:
Your developers should be familiar with native android development IDEs like Android Studio, library suites like Android Jetpack, and Android SDKs to develop and debug optimized apps for efficient performance on mobile device hardware.
Built-in libraries, emulators, debuggers, and tools like code IntelliSense help developers produce quality apps in less time.
Your android developers should also be proficient in Kotlin or Java programming language to build native apps for Android OS.
Kotlin is the preferred Android app development language as it is less verbose, lightweight, and improves multiple Java drawbacks like API design deficiencies.
Moreover, your development teams should have the skills to design an interactive user interface and an overall user experience according to Android’s Material Design Guidelines.
Read more on how to design an interactive app here.
Your app developers should have expertise in all the tools and platforms for native iOS development like Xcode and AppCode IDEs, Transporter tool to upload apps quickly to various Apple platforms, Simulator for testing apps without deploying on actual devices, and CocoaPods for third-party library integration.
Swift, C#, Objective-C, and Flutter are top programming languages popular for building iOS apps. However, Swift is preferred by Apple for iOS app development. It is a general-purpose programming language that has many positives including easy syntax and lightweight features.
If you wish to build a single recruitment app that works seamlessly on multiple operating systems like Android, Windows, and iOS, then go for a hybrid app. A hybrid or cross-platform app also helps businesses reach a maximum audience as quickly as possible.
Your hybrid app developers should be experts in frameworks like Ionic, React Native, and Xamarin. These hybrid app development platforms enable developers to create a single code base and deploy it in OS-specific containers that allow it to run on different OS devices as a native app.
Since a lot of developers are skilled in these tools, this approach is cheaper than native app development.
Data handling and database management are important aspects of app development. Your developers should have experience in common database technologies like PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.
PostgreSQL is an open-source relational database that is highly customizable according to specific data requirements. SQLite is used to provide local data storage capability in mobile apps.
Your developers should also have knowledge and experience in utilizing cloud computing tools for efficient and flexible app development.
They should be skilled in using cloud platforms like Amazon S3 scalable storage over a web service and Amazon EC2 virtual computing environment in AWS cloud to launch servers, configure networks, maintain storage, etc.
Read more on the benefits of cloud computing technologies for businesses in our blog.
Emerging technologies like artificial intelligence and blockchain can help with many features in your recruiting software. Blockchain is mainly being used in the software development domain for code security, at the current time.
Read more in our guide on how to secure code with blockchain technology.
Hire expert developers for your next project
You can automate candidate sourcing and talent matching through Artificial intelligence algorithms. AI-powered tools can also be used to assess candidates remotely for skills and organizational fit.
Moreover, like in many other niches, AI can help deliver a personalized app experience to users, like recommendation engines can help show users the most relevant jobs.
Augmented reality is used to enhance user-app interaction. It helps developers provide as near-to-reality user experience as possible. Employers can present their companies in a personalized manner. They can also give a virtual tour of the office environment.
For developing an AI capability in your recruitment app, your developers should be experts in the relevant AI technology stacks. This includes programming languages like Python, Lisp, and Java.
Python has an extensive collection of AI-centric libraries like Scikit-learn, PyTorch, etc., and frameworks like Keras, Tensorflow, Theano, etc.
Lisp comes in as the second most used programming language for AI. It has several characteristics that are necessary for successful AI implementations like rapid prototyping, mandatory garbage collection, dynamic object creation, etc.
Java is also rich in AI libraries and frameworks like OpenNLP, Neuroph, and Deep Java Library.
Test Your Recruitment App:
Your developers should be able to build bug-free mobile recruiting apps. They should be able to critically perform code reviews to ensure that an app meets both its functional and non-functional requirements.
Your developers should be skilled in unit testing of code modules. They should be proficient in using automated quality assurance tools like Espresso for testing android apps, XCTest for iOS apps, and Appium for react-native apps.
Release your App on the App store:
After a thorough QA of your recruitment app, you can deploy it in the user market. Now, you will focus on how well your app is performing on the app store and what feedback it is getting.
Collect user ratings, reviews, and suggestions. You can use tools like Qualaroo and UserReport for this purpose. These tools help in creating instant popup surveys and represent data as intuitive graphs
Improve your MVP:
Now, it’s time to improve your MVP according to customer feedback. You have collected all the data for this purpose in the previous stage. Perform data analysis through tools like Tableau to gain useful insights on customer satisfaction.
Improve and enhance your app features, run test cases, and again release app updates for users to install and use.
Connect with an Expert Software Development Company:
You will require developers who are experts in mobile application development using the latest technologies.
If you have the technical knowledge to manage a complex app development project, you can outsource developers with the required skills you need from a hybrid software development company to work under your supervision.
This reliable and instant access to a rich pool of talented developers, each expert in a specific software development domain, saves you from the difficulties you face when hiring individual freelance app developers.
Some limitations of the freelance market’s working model include:
- No guarantee of developers’ skill set as the freelance websites just connect you with the talent. They are not responsible for vetting them thoroughly.
- No guarantee that freelance developers are giving their maximum time to your app development project. Freelancers often work on multiple gigs simultaneously.
- More time and effort are required to maintain timely communication between different freelancers working on your project, and keep team members on one page to manage them effectively.
Given these drawbacks of working with individual freelance developers, it is best to outsource technical resources from a software development company with experience in building an app in your preferred niche i.e. recruitment and hiring talent.
Recruitment app development requires a deep understanding of the user market and expert-level software development skills.
If you further need assistance in building your dream recruitment app, get in touch with DevTeam.Space by filling out this quick form. Our technical managers will answer any questions that you may have and connect with you our experienced app developers.
Top FAQs on how to build a recruitment app like Recruitee
Developers in Eastern Europe are considered to be a good balance between skills and cost. Ukrainian developers typically charge between $35 and $50 on an hourly basis.
You can monetize your recruitment app through:
Running paid advertisements,
Providing paid premium features like resume proofreading, etc.,
Providing in-app purchases like a career counseling session, etc.,
Providing subscriptions for email marketing.
The top three popular recruitment apps in the market are: