- How to Create an NFT Art App
We hope you enjoy reading this article.
If you want our expert developers and designers to work on your online product, click here
Latest posts by Aran Davies (see all)
- How to Build a Dental Practice Management Software - 16 Mar, 2023
- The Future of Tech is Here: The Foldable Phone Revolution - 14 Feb, 2023
- What are AI Development Tools? - 13 Feb, 2023
Are you looking to create an NFT art app? Well, you have come to the right place. Follow these steps to build your great application.
1. Form a small team to plan your own NFT art app development project
Create a small team to plan the project. A competent project manager (PM) with experience in managing blockchain development projects should lead this team. You need a software architect with blockchain experience. Furthermore, you need a team of business analysts (BAs).
At this stage, this team should do the following:
- BAs need to gather and document the functional requirements.
- The architect should help to decide the non-functional requirements (NFRs) like scalability, performance, maintainability, etc.
- The PM should establish the requirements management and change management processes.
- The architect should create technical solutions. This should include the development approach. The architect should choose a blockchain platform and development tools.
- The PM should create a comprehensive project plan.
2. Decide the software development approach: Using tools to create NFTs vs development from scratch
You have two options, namely:
- Developing the entire app from scratch;
- Using tools to create NFTs and developing an NFT art app;
2A. Developing the entire NFT art app from scratch
You can choose to develop an NFT art app and new NFTs from scratch. This option requires you to create a decentralized application (DApp). DApps are web apps with the following characteristics:
- You can use any technology to create the front-end, however, DApps must execute blockchain smart contracts in the back-end.
- DApps are open-source.
- These apps need to store their data on a decentralized blockchain.
- DApps must have their own cryptographic tokens.
- No one entity can own the majority of the cryptographic tokens.
- DApps must follow established cryptographic standards to store data.
- The developer of a DApp can modify it only if there’s a consensus in the user community.
Note: Smart contracts are pieces of code with many use cases. They have the following characteristics:
- They are open-source pieces of code with “If-Else” statements.
- Based on predetermined conditions, smart contracts transfer cryptographic assets from one crypto wallet address to another.
- Smart contracts execute autonomously, and they store the outputs on a blockchain network.
- You can’t modify smart contracts after deploying them since they are stored on a blockchain network.
- You can’t reverse the execution of a smart contract.
Ethereum is a popular public blockchain platform to develop smart contracts and DApps. It requires “gas fees” in the form of ETH to execute smart contracts.
Hire expert developers for your next project
2B. Developing non-fungible tokens using a tool, and developing an NFT art DApp
You can develop NFTs using tools. Subsequently, you can develop the proposed NFT art app from scratch. Check out the following tools to develop NFTs:
- Nifty Ink: You can create digital artwork using the drawing tools offered by Nifty Ink. It offers a marketplace. You can sell your artwork without gas fees. You have the option of minting it as an NFT on the Ethereum network. This requires gas fees, and you can access marketplaces like OpenSea.
- Pixelchain: This Ethereum DApp allows you to paint on a board, and it allows you to upload a palette of your choice. It creates a new NFT using the ERC-721 standard. Pixelchain offers a marketplace too.
- Mintable: Creators of digital artworks can use this app to create NFTs.
3. Plan the project to create your own NFT art app
After finalizing the requirements and the development approach, you now need to plan the project. Do the following:
- Choose a public blockchain platform. We recommend you use the Ethereum blockchain platform to create NFTs and DApp.
- Decide the development tools to use.
- Plan the phases and tasks.
- Plan for hiring a software development team.
- Estimate your project following our blockchain project planning guide.
4. Hire a software development team
You need to hire the following roles:
- UI designers;
- Blockchain developers with Ethereum and Solidity skills;
You might think of hiring freelancers from a popular freelance platform. Note that these platforms don’t offer any project management support.
Some freelancers might have read blockchain development tutorials, however, they might not have enough experience. You will find it hard to execute your project with them.
We recommend you hire blockchain developers from a reputed software development company. These companies have sufficiently experienced developers. They also provide project management support.
5. Install and configure key tools for developing the proposed NFT art app
You can use tools from the rich Ethereum blockchain development ecosystem for your project. Install and configure the following tools by following our Ethereum development guide:
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
- Ganache CLI: Known as TestRPC earlier, it’s a fast and customizable blockchain emulator. Install and configure it by using the relevant instructions.
- Truffle: Truffle is a development environment, testing framework, and asset pipeline for software development using the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM). Install and configure it using the Truffle instructions.
- MetaMask: You need to test smart contracts before you can deploy them. You need to communicate with Ethereum even without a full node. Furthermore, you need dummy Ethers to test your smart contracts. MetaMask, a browser extension helps you with this. It comes with a MetaMask wallet too.
Do the following:
- Open Ganache CLI and run an instance.
- Configure the “aconfig.js” file by following the Ethereum web development guide.
- Connect MetaMask to Ropsten, an Ethereum test network. You need this for testing smart contracts. Follow the Ethereum DApp development guide for this.
6. Develop your DApp and smart contracts
Do the following:
- Design the UI (user interface) of your DApp.
- Code Solidity smart contracts by using Remix, an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for smart contract development.
- You need to code smart contracts for creating cryptographic tokens too. Use the ERC-721 standard to create NFTs. You can use the ERC20 standard to create other cryptographic tokens.
Keep the code as simple as possible, which makes it easier to debug smart contracts. Remember that complex operations in smart contracts require more gas fees. Implement a structured process to review smart contracts.
7. Test and deploy smart contracts
Take the following steps:
- Buy dummy Ethers using MetaMask. Use them to test smart contracts in Ropsten.
- Deploy smart contracts from Remix to Ropsten.
- Test smart contracts in Ropsten.
- Buy real Ethers since you need to deploy smart contracts to the Ethereum main network.
- Navigate to the Truffle directory where you stored the smart contracts.
- Deploy smart contracts by using the “Truffle deploy” command. Follow our Ethereum smart contract deployment guide if you need help.
Congratulations! You just created your first NFT art app.
Tips and traps when you create NFT art apps
We offer a few tips for creating NFT art apps, furthermore, we point out a few errors to avoid. These are as follows:
A. You should hire sufficiently experienced developers when creating NFT software
Tools like Pixel Art and Corel Painter can expedite your project. However, projects to create NFT apps can be complex. The best NFT software development teams have a judicious mix of senior and mid-level developers. Avoid hiring only mid-level or junior developers when developing NFT creator apps.
Hire expert developers for your next project
B. You need to hire developers with good experience in Ethereum development tools
Developing the digital art-related components in an NFT creator app can be simple. However, the blockchain components in an NFT art creator app can be complex. Ethereum is very popular with organizations and developers that create NFTs. Ethereum blockchain development isn’t straightforward though.
Take the example of Solidity. NFT artworks are cryptographic tokens after all. You can choose from various art styles. You have many tools to create art. Ultimately, you need to create cryptographic tokens to store NFT artworks. You need to create Ethereum smart contracts for that. Programmers use Solidity for that, and it isn’t the easiest language. There’s a learning curve.
Other Ethereum blockchain development tools have a learning curve too. The best NFT development teams need developers with considerable experience in Ethereum development tools. Don’t hire programmers with little or no experience in these tools.
C. Smart contract review and testing are important
When you create NFT artwork apps, an important work stream is blockchain development. Smart contracts are important pieces of this puzzle. Not only create NFTs but you need smart contracts to manage NFT artworks too.
Whether you use existing NFT marketplaces or create your own NFT marketplace, smart contracts are needed for transactions. NFT creators will sell their crypto tokens on NFT marketplaces. Buyers will use these marketplaces to buy NFTs.
Smart contracts help you to record and manage NFT ownership. Several NFT projects involve big money. You can’t afford smart contracts to have bugs. Therefore, the review and testing of smart contracts are important. Look for developers with relevant skills and experience. Avoid hiring programmers that don’t have smart contracts review and testing experience.
DevTeam.Space has considerable expertise in blockchain technology. We know how to create a scalable Ethereum DApp. Our blockchain developers know the various tools required for this, and they have experience in such projects. We can help you to create a scalable NFT art app.
DevTeam.Space has extensive experience in auditing smart contracts. Our experienced reviewers follow a systematic method to review smart contracts. We can identify vulnerabilities, performance issues, optimization opportunities, etc. We can audit your smart contracts.
DevTeam.Space can provide end-to-end software development services for many technologies including blockchain. Based on your business requirements, we can take care of project planning and execution. Our project management processes help us to track and control the project.