How To Add Ads to Your App
Latest posts by Aran Davies (see all)
- Dev Team Roles and Responsibilities - 5 Jul, 2022
- Microservices Architecture vs Monolithic Architecture - 5 Jul, 2022
- How to Transition Away from a Bad Developer? - 29 Jun, 2022
Want to know how to add ads to your app?
Since this is one of the leading ways to generate revenue from apps, it needs to be explored.
According to a study done by Grand View Research, “The global in-app advertising market size is expected to reach USD 226.4 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 19.4% from 2019 to 2025.”
Let’s explore how to integrate ads into your mobile apps.
Guide to Add Ads to your Apps
Google AdMob: A common way to add mobile advertising to your mobile app
How do you integrate ads into your mobile app? Let’s explore a popular way to do this, which is Google AdMob.
AdMob, which stands for “Advertising on mobile”, is a company originally founded in 2006. The company is based in Mountain View, California, USA, and Google acquired it in 2009. It is one of the largest mobile ad networks.
With the AdMob ad network, you can integrate ads into your mobile apps relatively easily. Apart from incorporating in-app ads, you get actionable insights. You can also access powerful tools to use AdMob with your mobile apps, and these tools are easy to use.
At the time of writing this, the AdMob website claims that 81% of the top 1,000 Android apps use it. The company claims that more than 1 million apps use AdMob, and over 1 million Google advertisers are on AdMob.
Why should you as an app developer explore AdMob? It offers SDKs for both Android and iOS, which makes it considerably easy for you to integrate ads.
How you can integrate ads into your Android app using AdMob
How can you use AdMob to integrate ads into your Android app? We will now explore this.
You can do this in two different ways, and the difference is whether you are using Google Firebase, i.e., the “Mobile-Backend-as-a-Service” (MBaaS) from Google. If you aren’t using Firebase, then you need to do the following:
- Create a Google AdMob account and register your app.
- Import the Mobile Ads Android SDK.
- Update your AndroidManifest.xml file with the AdMob “App ID” for your app.
- Initialize the Mobile Ads SDK.
- Selec ad formats, e.g., interstitial ads, banner ads, native ads, etc.
Read the Google AdMobs Mobile Ads SDK (Android) “Get started” guide for more details.
If you are using Google Firebase for your Android app development, then you need to do the following:
- Sign-up for a Google AdMob account, and register your app.
- Connect your app to a Google Firebase project, which includes configuring it for Firebase. This requires you to add Google’s Maven repository and download the Firebase SDK for Android.
The subsequent steps are similar to the option without Firebase, which includes the following:
- Importing the Android Mobile Ads SDK;
- Updating the AndroidManifest.xml file with the AdMob “App ID”;
- Initializing the SDK and choosing an appropriate ad format.
Read the Google Firebase AdMob Android guide named “Get started in Android Studio” for more information.
Integrating ads into your iOS app using AdMob
Are you offering an iOS app too? You would likely integrate ads into that too, and AdMob can help. Once again, there are two options. You can use Google Firebase to host the mobile backend, alternatively, you can use another MBaaS platform like AWS Amplify.
If you are using Google Firebase, then you need to take the following steps:
- Install the Firebase SDK.
- If you don’t have an AdMob account already, then create one.
- You need to register your app with Firebase.
- Link the app to a Firebase project.
- Import the Mobile Ads iOS SDK.
- Update your “Info.plist” file adding your AdMob “App ID”.
- Initialize “Mobile Ads”.
- Choose an ad format that works for you from options like banner, native, etc.
Read the Firebase AdMob iOS “Get started” guide for more insights.
Are you using an MBaaS platform other than Firebase? You can still use the AdMob iOS SDK with Xcode 10 or higher, and you need to target iOS 8.0 or higher. Create an AdMob account if you don’t have one and register your app.
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
The remaining steps are similar to the option with Firebase, i.e., you need to install the AdMob iOS SDK, update your “Info.plist” file, and initialize the AdMob iOS SDK. Choose the ad format you want, and you are ready!
Read the AdMob iOS SDK “Get started” guide for more information.
Integrate ads into your website
You might want to integrate ads into your website, but, how do you do this? Well, you can use Google AdSense, which is a program run by Google. Website owners can use it to serve text, image, video, or interactive media ads.
Google administers, sorts, and maintains the ads. The company uses powerful analytics to serve ads that are relevant to the audience of your website, moreover, Google ensures that only high-quality ads are served.
You as a website owner can block ads that you don’t want, customize where ads will appear, and choose the kind of ads you want to display on your website.
With AdSense, you are connected to relevant advertisers. You get paid using standard methods, e.g.: CPC (cost per click), CPM (cost per thousand impressions), etc. Integrating AdSense is easy, and you need to take the following steps:
- Ensure that your website complies with the AdSense standards.
- Apply to AdSense.
- Configure your ads.
- Copy-paste the AdSense code onto your site.
Read “How to add Adsense to your website” for more insights.
Offering excellent user experience even while integrating ads into your app
Now that you know how to integrate ads into your app, I want to remind you about the need to offer a great user experience. Many users don’t receive ads well, therefore, you need to offer an excellent user experience so that they continue to use your app. How do you do this?
If you are integrating ads into your website, then ensure that you design a great user interface (UI). Do the following:
- Design the UI in a way that mirrors the real world.
- Provide control and freedom to users.
- Maintain consistency in your UI design and follow applicable standards.
- Enable users to recognize task-related relevant information instead of making them recollect it.
- Provide flexibility and efficiency to users.
- Minimize clutter, and design an aesthetically pleasing UI.
- Minimize errors and deliver error messages that are easy to understand.
- Display help and documentation prominently.
Read “User interface design guidelines: 10 rules of thumb” for more insights.
Integrating ads into your mobile app? You need to follow the appropriate best practices for UI design, e.g.:
- Design your UI by following platform-specific guidelines. You need to follow the “Material Design” guidelines when you design the UI of an Android app, whereas, you need to consult the “Human Interface Guidelines” while designing an iOS app UI.
- Choose an appropriate mobile navigation menu pattern that suits your app. Our guide “Mobile navigation menu examples” can help you.
- Select an appropriate color scheme for your mobile app UI. You can consult “8 trends in mobile app color scheme” for more insights.
- Design icons that help your users to access the features of your app easily. We have a useful guide for this, which you can access in “How to design the perfect icon for your mobile app?”.
Planning to integrate ads into your app?
The latest technologies like AR and VR are contributing significantly to the growth of mobile advertising industry. The mobile ad spending globally is expected to reach 413 billion US dollars by 2024. However, as you can see, integrating ads into your app while delivering excellent user experience can be hard.
I recommend that you work with a reputed and trusted development partner, and read our guide “How to find the best software development company?” to find such a partner.
DevTeam.Space has a field-expert software developer community experienced in developing mobile applications delivering excellent user experience using the latest cutting-edge technologies.
You can partner with these mobile app developers by filling out this quick form. One of our account managers will contact you to assist with the further process of onboarding software developers, project planning, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most straightforward approach is to integrate Google Mobile Ads Lite SDK into your application. Your developer will know how to do this and understand the guidelines that your project needs to conform with in order to display ads.
Most small to medium-sized websites choose to use Google Ads to do this. Simply instruct your developer to do this. Alternatively, you can go the route of finding another ad platform. Keep in mind to read all the documentation of whatever platform you choose to ensure it fits your requirements.
Total ad revenue depends on the number of ad impressions. However, the average amount made per click through mobile ad monetization in the United States currently stands at $2 cents.