Wondering how to integrate ChatGPT in gaming? You can integrate ChatGPT into your proposed game by carefully defining, planning, and executing a ChatGPT integration project.
We already know ChatGPT’s impact on AI chatbots. We also know how organizations all over the world are embracing it to respond to customer queries. The use of ChatGPT as a tool for writing content is well-known too.
Now, the importance of ChatGPT in the gaming industry is rising too. It won’t be wrong to say more and more games will utilize ChatGPT in the future.
The right time to focus on a ChatGPT integration project for your proposed game is now, and you are reading the right guide.
1. Set up a team to define and plan the project to integrate ChatGPT in gaming
You need a team of experienced people to define and plan the project. A competent project manager (PM) should lead this team. This team needs a software architect and a business analyst (BA).
The BA should discuss with the business stakeholders to create the functional requirements. After analyzing the industry benchmarks, the software architect should define the non-functional requirements (NFRs) like performance. The architect should create the technical solutions.
2. Review games that use ChatGPT to gather ideas
You can gather ideas by doing the following:
A. Observing games that already use ChatGPT
Check out the games that already use ChatGPT and analyze how they utilize it. The following are a few examples:
Hire expert AI Developer developers for your next project
- “AI Dungeon 2”: ChatGPT creates non-linear storylines.
- “The Last Door”: This game uses ChatGPT to create realistic NPC interactions.
- “EVE: Echoes”: This game uses ChatGPT to provide dynamic dialogue options.
- “The ChatGPT Dating Sim”: This is the ChatGPT-enabled version of the well-known dating game.
B. Playing games with ChatGPT
You can also play several classic games with ChatGPT and observe the experience. The following are examples of games to play with ChatGPT:
- The “Hangman” game;
- “Word Ladder”;
- “Dungeon Master”;
- “Text Adventure”.
3. Define the requirements for integrating ChatGPT into a game
Why do you want to integrate ChatGPT into your game? In other words, what should ChatGPT do when users play games? ChatGPT has vast potential in the gaming industry, e.g.:
- Game developers can use ChatGPT to improve the storytelling in modern video games.
- ChatGPT can improve the interactions in the game world.
- Game studios can use ChatGPT to create dynamic dialogue options for non-playable characters (NPCs).
- Developers use ChatGPT to create realistic gaming experiences.
- ChatGPT can generate responses in games that are human-like.
- Games using ChatGPT can have responses that are more fun than pre-programmed responses.
- Game development companies can use ChatGPT to create realistic interactions between non-playing characters.
- ChatGPT helps game designers to create highly interesting and exciting storylines.
- Video game developers can use ChatGPT to generate non-linear and branching storylines and conversations.
- By using the possibilities of the ChatGPT technology, game developers can offer more playing choices.
- ChatGPT makes it easier to create conversations that appear to be between real people. Words in such interactions flow naturally, therefore, the video game looks more realistic.
- Games that use ChatGPT can create numerous answers for particular quests. These different talking points can then spawn different story ideas and gameplay scenarios.
Analyze the needs of the business stakeholders and the capabilities of ChatGPT. Define and document the functional requirements.
4. Choose an approach to integrate ChatGPT
You can integrate ChatGPT into your proposed game using one of the following approaches:
A. Train ChatGPT, build an AI chatbot, and integrate the newly trained model
We recommend this approach since it allows for maximum customization. You need to do the following:
- Collect your own data for training the ChatGPT model.
- Prepare the data sets by formatting, data cleansing, and data pre-processing.
- Download the ChatGPT LLM.
- Host the downloaded model yourself, e.g., by using a private cloud.
- Develop scripts for training the model with your data.
- Train the model and review its performance. Repeat this step as needed.
- Develop an AI bot from scratch.
- Integrate the LLM that you trained.
- Test the AI chatbot.
- Integrate the chatbot into the game.
This is the most complex integration approach. You need expert AI/ML/NLP developers with extensive experience with LLMs.
B. Develop a custom AI bot and integrate ChatGPT as it is
You need to do the following for this approach:
- Code a custom AI chatbot from scratch.
- Integrate ChatGPT into this chatbot. You won’t train the ChatGPT LLM with your data.
- Test the custom AI chatbot.
- Integrate the chatbot into the game you develop.
While this approach provides a fair bit of customization options, ChatGPT won’t know about the intricacies of your data sets. You need AI developers for this medium-complexity approach.
C. Use a chatbot builder platform to integrate ChatGPT
You use a 3rd party chatbot builder platform like Botsonic in this approach. Leading chatbot builder platforms allow you to integrate ChatGPT into the bot.
You don’t need experienced developers for this approach. Well-known chatbot builders are no-code platforms. They provide drag-and-drop tools for building chatbots.
Your customization options largely depend on the chatbot builder platform though. Often, you have very limited customization options.
D. Integrate the ChatGPT API
You only need to integrate the OpenAI ChatGPT API in this approach. Developers need to use either the API endpoints or an SDK.
Hire expert AI Developer developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
Even junior developers can execute this simplest approach. However, you get no customization options.
5. Plan the project
The PM should take inputs from the architect and plan the project. This exercise should focus on the following areas:
- The choice of software development methodologies like agile;
- Choosing the right project management framework, e.g., scrum;
- Skills required by the developers, e.g., game development, AI/ML/NLP development, Python, etc.;
- Estimation and scheduling;
- Generic project management functions like risk management, communications management, etc.
6. Hire game developers and AI programmers
You now need to begin the hiring process. Depending on the existing strength of your in-house team, you might need to hire people for the following roles:
- UI designers;
- Game developers;
- Web developers;
- Mobile developers;
- AI/ML developers experienced in AI bot development and large-language models (LLMs) like ChatGPT;
- DevOps engineers.
Take the following steps:
A. Choose a hiring platform
Some companies attempt to execute complex projects by hiring freelancers. Several freelance platforms exist, and many of them claim to have large freelancer networks. You can even negotiate a low hourly rate.
Now, it’s one thing to save some software development manpower costs. It’s quite another thing to see the project getting derailed! You can’t afford a failed project just because you hope to save money by hiring freelancers.
Hiring freelancers exposes you to the following risks:
- Freelancers might lack the relevant experience. You will find it hard to evaluate the skills of freelancers.
- You might not get work done by freelancers. Freelancers often work part-time on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Managing freelancers might be hard. Freelance platforms don’t offer any project management support.
- Freelancers might leave your project mid-way. You need to hire replacement developers, and the project might get delayed.
We recommend you hire developers from DevTeam.Space. You get the following advantages:
- High-quality developers: Our comprehensive vetting processes ensure that you get competent developers with the relevant expertise.
- Full-time developers: We provide dedicated developers.
- Flexible engagement models: You can hire individual developers or entire development teams. We can also deliver the project from the beginning to the end.
- Project management support: Our dedicated account managers provide project management support.
- World-class development processes: Our AI-powered agile processes assure you. You get supportable and maintainable code from us.
B. Interview developers
You have decided on a hiring platform and posted a job ad. Now, you need to interview candidates.
If you aren’t an expert then take help from associates. You can also check out interview questions online.
Ask questions that help you assess the ChatGPT integration experience of developers. Assess how they solved problems in their past projects.
Hire expert AI Developer developers for your next project
Explain your project requirements and ask how a candidate will approach them. You should expect concrete answers, and you should avoid developers who use only jargon.
C. Onboard developers
Now that you hired developers, you want them to become productive quickly. An effective onboarding helps with it a fair bit. Do the following:
- Share the relevant documents like requirements.
- Explain the project requirements and technical solutions to developers.
- Go over the work intake and approval processes with them.
- Grant access to the new team members.
- Introduce them to your existing team.
- Explain the project schedule and milestones.
- Set up a communications process.
7. Develop the game and integrate ChatGPT into it
You have a software development team now. Assuming you take the ChatGPT integration approach “A” mentioned above, do the following:
- Design the UI of the game, web app, mobile app, and AI chatbot.
- Download the ChatGPT model and host it.
- Collect training data. Format the data, subsequently, clean and pre-process the data.
- Develop the required training scripts using a programming language like Python.
- Train the self-hosted ChatGPT model.
- Review the performance of the model you trained and refine it if needed.
- Develop the game, web app, and mobile apps.
- Develop the AI chatbot and integrate the self-hosted ChatGPT model into it.
- Integrate the AI chatbot into your game/apps.
- Integrate any other APIs if required.
- Perform code reviews and testing.
- Deploy the new game/apps.
- Manage the post-deployment support phase. Subsequently, manage the transition to the long-term maintenance stage.
Submit a project with zero risk
This guide should help game developers to integrate ChatGPT into a video game. Having said that, integrating conversational AI tools like ChatGPT into a game can be hard.
A huge part of such projects is the team you have. You need highly competent AI developers, and AI technology is a niche skill. Hiring expert AI and/or machine learning (ML) developers isn’t easy.
This is where a company like DevTeam.Space with its considerable AI/ML and game development expertise comes into play. Our game and AI developers have proven their ability to deliver complex projects.
Wondering how our developers can help? Fill out the DevTeam.Space product specifications form. A dedicated account manager will soon help you.
You certainly can train ChatGPT to perform various functionalities including playing games, by doing the following:
Setting up an environment to train ChatGPT on real-world scenarios relevant to your project;
Developing scripts required for the training;
Collecting relevant data sets;
Organizing the data sets;
Performing data pre-processing and cleaning;
Training the large-language model (LLM);
Evaluating the AI model after training it;
Fine-tuning the model.
DevTeam.Space developers can help with training ChatGPT since we have plenty of relevant expertise.
The high-level steps to use the ChatGPT API are as follows:
Getting OpenAI API keys;
Choosing a programming language and SDK;
Setting up an API clients;
Making API requests;
Using the API responses.
DevTeam.Space developers h
DevTeam.Space experts can explain to you how ChatGPT stores data. The following are the key points in this regard:
ChatGPT stores data to “learn” and improve.
It stores data like the chat history, inputs from the user, answers provided by ChatGPT, user responses, etc.
ChatGPT stores the following data about users: name, email address, location, IP address, payment details, and other device information.
ChatGPT stores data securely.
OpenAI doesn’t sell data.
The data stored by ChatGPT is confidential.
ChatGPT also gathers generic data from websites, social media, etc.
Users have some control over the data stored by ChatGPT. They can turn off the conversation history. They can also permanently delete their personal information.