Are you wondering how to integrate ChatGPT into healthcare software?
Developing an AI-based healthcare software solution requires a deep understanding of advanced deep learning algorithms, AI model development, NLP techniques, healthcare software industry compliance, etc.
If you don’t have a professional team with this relevant expertise to take on the task, then submit a request for a complimentary discovery call, and one of our tech account managers who managed similar projects will contact you shortly.
The AI healthcare market is forecasted to reach 188 billion US dollars by 2030. Read on as we explain the integration of an advanced AI-based chatbot, ChatGPT, in healthcare software.
Integrate ChatGPT into Healthcare
Take the following steps:
1. Form an experienced team to plan your project of integrating ChatGPT
We assume you already have a healthcare software application and want to enhance its capability by integrating ChatGPT, a generative AI-powered chatbot.
You need to start by defining the requirements and scope of the project. You need to adopt a robust project development approach and a viable technical solution considering your project specifications.
Moreover, you require a qualified team to undertake the project. A project manager (PM) should lead the team. The PM should be well-versed in relevant project management frameworks and capable of implementing the best project management practices using the appropriate PM tools.
You would need a business analyst in your project team. The BA would define the requirements of the ChatGPT integration project.
Hire expert AI developers for your next project
You need a software architect to create technical solutions. A software architect should also define the non-functional requirements for your project.
2. Analyze whether you indeed require to integrate ChatGPT into your Healthcare software
Do you really need to integrate ChatGPT into your healthcare software? Analyze this by considering the pros and cons of using NLP-based, ChatGPt, in a healthcare software solution.
Healthcare professionals think of adopting ChatGPT for the following use cases:
- Clinical decision support for providing doctors and healthcare providers with evidence-based recommendations to improve patient outcomes, treatment guidelines, and relevant literature to help with diagnostic decisions;
- Patient education via the provision of medical education materials, answering questions about medical conditions, medication options, and preventive care measures;
- Remote patient monitoring and tracking of health parameters, such as blood pressure, exercise routines, etc., with personalized reminders for effective patient care;
- Follow-up care and post-discharge support via assistance in post-care treatment plans, etc.;
- Health risk assessment for medical conditions such as diabetes, mental health disorders, etc., and also guidance on preventive measures;
- Hospital appointment scheduling and reminders;
- Real-time information about drugs, including side effects, potential contradictions, etc.;
- Medical writing and documentation, like medical reports, discharge summaries, clinical notes, etc., with real-time suggestions and corrections;
- Medical translation to facilitate communication between doctors and patients by efficiently translating medical jargon and technical terms;
- Real-time integration with EHR (electronic health records) to quickly extract and feed patient medical history, medication, etc.;
- Perform patient data analysis for medical research;
- Management of financial procedures in healthcare organizations, like billing, insurance claims, etc.
The above use cases of ChatGPT highlight the potential benefits of using a powerful artificial intelligence chatbot in the healthcare industry. While ChatGPT promises great benefits for healthcare providers and patients, it also has drawbacks.
You need to ascertain that the flipsides of ChatGPT do not adversely affect your healthcare software. Some ChatGPT limitations for the healthcare industry are as follows:
- ChatGPT might exhibit a lack of context understanding for medical-related communication. The misinterpretation of nuanced healthcare communication could lead to providing incorrect information.
- Limited specialized expertise in rare medical conditions could cause ChatGPT to give outdated or incomplete information.
- ChatGPT might not be well equipped to give emergency medical responses where users need urgent medical answers.
- There could be concerns about data security, data privacy, user consent, etc. when using ChatGPT in healthcare.
- Lack of empathy compared to human healthcare professionals;
- You may need to comply with certain healthcare regulations and standards, such as HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) in the United States. Regulation compliance can add complexity to the integration process.
3. Collect, analyze, and document the requirements for GPT Chat integration
The business analyst in your team should help define the functional requirements of the ChatGPT integration project by interviewing business stakeholders. For example, you might decide to integrate ChatGPT into your healthcare app for the following features:
- Monitoring health by integrating ChatGPT into health monitoring devices, such as wearables, and offering personalized insights into health conditions;
- Scheduling appointments to show user available slots, confirm or cancel appointments;
- Managing medication by answering inquiries about dosage, potential side effects, alternate remedies, etc.;
- Mental health support via supportive conversations where users can discuss their emotions and experiences and ChatGPT can offer coping methods, suggest professional assistance, etc.;
- Language translation in case your healthcare software offer services to a multi-lingual user base. ChatGPT can help patients communicate in their preferred language with the healthcare providers;
- Patient triage by helping users assess medical symptoms and offering initial guidance.
The scope of your project would include deciding whether you want to integrate ChatGPT into a web app. Some businesses prefer ChatGPT integrations only in mobile apps. We assume you want to integrate ChatGPT into both web and mobile apps.
In addition to the functional requirements, you should consider the non-functional requirements, such as scalability and performance after ChatGPT integration.
As discussed above, industry regulations and data privacy are the main concerns when working on healthcare applications. When implementing an AI-based model, your software architect should adopt a robust technical solution to ensure app security.
A top-notch user experience is a priority. You need to offer a seamless software experience by keeping requirements like usability and maintainability in mind.
Your team needs to implement proper technical documentation. Your PM should review these documents to execute and manage the project effectively.
4. Formulate an approach to integrate ChatGPT into your app
Next, you need to devise an approach to integrate ChatGPT into healthcare software. The three approaches to accomplishing this are as follows:
1. ChatGPT API Integration
API integration is the most straightforward approach to integrating ChatGPT into your healthcare system. Any user with basic coding skills could adopt this method of integrating ChatGPT using an API.
If you do not have access to professional developers, you can use ChatGPT API to use it directly via your software app. The major drawback is there are no customization options. You can only use the ChatGPT as it is. You cannot customize it to meet your specific feature requirements.
2. Using a Chatbot Builder Platform
Chatbot builder platforms, like Chatfeul and Landbot, offer ChatGPT integrations into chatbots. Chatbot builders allow users to build chatbots with minimum technical expertise. However, customization options are limited.
Hire expert AI developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
Your team can use these chatbot builder platforms to build a healthcare chatbot with ChatGPT integrations. This option offers customization, but the extent of customization depends on the platform you use.
3. Custom ChatGPT Integration
Custom integration is the most complex approach. You build a chatbot from scratch, therefore, require a professional development team with excellent expertise.
The main advantage is you can customize it as much as you like per your project specifications since you decide on the functionalities.
Your team should gather and preprocess healthcare-related data to train the ChatGPT model. Your developers can use the ChatGPT language model as the base model and customize it for healthcare by using medical-related prompts, fine-tuning techniques, etc.
Your developers would need to ensure data security by adopting security measures like data encryption, access controls, secure transmission protocols, etc.
The software architect would plan the complete backend integration of ChatGPT into the healthcare software system and the front-end interface for users for efficient communication with ChatGPT-based features.
Note: We assume that you require considerable customization. For example, you might need to consider frequently changing industry regulations, incorporate new advancements in medical procedures, use insights from ChatGPT for devising personalized medical treatment plans, etc.
Therefore, we assume that you will undertake a custom ChatGPT integration project.
5. Plan the project to integrate ChatGPT into your healthcare app
The PM needs to plan the custom ChatGPT integration project carefully. An effective plan should cover all the key aspects, such as the following:
- The technical environment of the project;
- Project development methodologies;
- Project tasks;
- Dependencies among tasks;
- Project schedule;
- Content validation or medical validation process;
- Compliance management;
- Risk management;
- Communications management;
- Quality management;
- Human resource planning;
- Cost management.
6. Hire developers to integrate ChatGPT into healthcare software
You need to hire competent people for the following roles:
- UX/UI designers;
- Web app developers;
- Mobile app developers;
- AI developers with Python skills and experience in NLP and ML development;
- Subject matter experts (SMEs) or healthcare Informaticians to help you effectively integrate advanced AI-based chatbot technology into your healthcare solution;
- DevOps engineers.
Take the following steps:
1. Choose a hiring platform
You might think of hiring freelancers. Many freelance platforms offer freelance developers at low rates. However, the quick access to freelance developers comes with several pitfalls that make hiring freelancers an unviable option for a complex custom ChatGPT integration project.
Freelance developers often take on part-time projects. You would likely not get enough bandwidth from freelance developers to work diligently on your custom development projects.
If freelance developers leave your project midway, you are left to hire replacement developers. Freelance platforms offer no managerial oversight for managing freelancers and your project.
We recommend you hire dedicated developers from trust-worthy software companies like DevTeamSpace. We offer skilled, experienced, and motivated full-time developers and project management support.
Hire expert AI developers for your next project
2. Interview developers
After choosing a hiring platform and posting a job ad, you would get several applications from potential candidates. You need to shortlist developers for your project by interviewing them. You can use our set of interview questions and answers to help you conduct interviews, e.g.:
- Interview questions for mobile app developers;
- Interview questions for front-end developers;
- Interview questions for AWS developers;
- Interview questions for Python developers.
Ask questions that help you evaluate the expertise of developers. Do not just ask theoretical questions. Ask about their past projects, technical approaches they adopted, technologies they have worked with, etc.
You can explain your project specifications and ask developers how they would approach development scenarios.
3. Onboard developers
You found the right developers for your project. Now, you need to onboard them efficiently. Explain to them your project requirements in detail. Share with them all the necessary project documentation and code files.
Introduce the new developers to the existing team. Set up communication channels. Devise a project plan, assign tasks, and set deadlines for deliverables. Implement a work approval process and establish accountability.
7. Execute, monitor, and control the ChatGPT integration project.
Your software development team would perform the following:
- Design and implement a user interface for the chatbot;
- Modify the existing UI of the web or mobile application to facilitate the integration of ChatGPT;
- Implement the new healthcare chatbot model based on ChatGPT;
- Develop APIs and perform API integrations where required to connect healthcare system with the ChatGPT model;
- Set up deployment environment, including setting up servers, frameworks, and libraries to host the model considering scalability, performance, and security requirements;
- Test ChatGPT integration to ensure it functions correctly. Run the model in different environments and scenarios. Validate responses against the expected outcomes and fine-tune the integration based on the test results;
- Continuously monitor the performance of the ChatGPT-based features and iterate the development process. Enhance integration to offer a better user experience and address issues based on user feedback.
Your software architect would lead the ChatGPT integration process, including the above procedures. The software architect also needs to conduct a thorough code review process to uphold the quality of the software product.
Your project manager would overview the entire project to ensure successful execution and course correction whenever necessary.
Submit a Project With Zero Risk
Integrating ChatGPT into healthcare software is a complex project. You require skilled developers with specialized expertise in natural language processing, machine learning, data engineering, and knowledge of healthcare industry regulations to undertake the project successfully.
If you are developing a healthcare app using AI and need to scale your team with additional skills and expertise then take a moment to tell us about your project requirements here. One of our dedicated tech account managers will be in touch to show you similar projects we have done before and share how we can help you.
FAQs on ChatGPT in Healthcare
ChatGPT can be used to provide patients with relevant medical information, help patients schedule appointments, offer real-time mental health support, analyze huge patient records for clinical trials, flag potential drug interactions, etc. The fact that ChatGPT passed USMLE, a test that medical students should pass to become licensed physicians in the US, shows that ChatGPT has a high level of medical knowledge for revolutionizing healthcare.
Doximity, a digital platform for medical professionals, has provided a beta version of ChatGPT for doctors and medical experts called DocsGPT. It streamlines administrative tasks and generates human-like responses, such as drafting and faxing preauthorization and insurance appeal letters. Moreover, AI-assisted medical education helps healthcare professionals gain effective practical medical education from anywhere.
The choice of an AI algorithm for a healthcare chatbot depends on the chatbot’s specifications. Some algorithms include machine learning-based Support Vector Machines, Decision Trees, Naive Bayes, Named Entity Recognition (NER), etc. We suggest you partner with developers with specialized AI skills from a credible software development company like DevTeamSpace to implement AI-based healthcare chatbots.