- What is a Blockchain Developer?
We hope you enjoy reading this article.
If you want our expert developers and designers to work on your online product, click here
Latest posts by Aran Davies (see all)
- How to Build a Dental Practice Management Software - 16 Mar, 2023
- The Future of Tech is Here: The Foldable Phone Revolution - 14 Feb, 2023
- What are AI Development Tools? - 13 Feb, 2023
Blockchain developers design, code, test, and deploy blockchain-based applications. They have specific job descriptions and responsibilities. Blockchain developers need specific skills and competencies.
Job description of a blockchain developer
Blockchain developers study the requirements of an organization, and they design a blockchain-based solution. They design the blockchain network and applications. Blockchain developers code and test the applications. Many experienced blockchain developers perform blockchain code reviews. After reviews and testing, blockchain developers deploy the blockchain network and applications.
Responsibilities of a blockchain developer
Blockchain developers typically have the following responsibilities:
- Analyzing the organizational requirements;
- Determining the appropriate blockchain development approach, e.g., public vs private blockchain;
- Choosing the appropriate blockchain development platform, e.g., Ethereum;
- Designing blockchain applications;
- Documenting technical solutions;
- Coding blockchain applications;
- Analyzing and resolving bugs and action items arising out of code reviews;
- Testing blockchain applications;
- Deploying blockchain apps;
- Maintaining blockchain applications;
- Reporting the status of blockchain development projects;
- Collaborating with the larger team in the organization.
Skills and competencies that blockchain developers need
Blockchain developers need the following skills and competencies:
Generic blockchain skills
Competent blockchain developers need a sound knowledge of the following:
- P2P networking;
- Modern cryptography;
- Cryptographic hash functions;
- Data encryption standards;
- Different blockchain consensus algorithms.
Public blockchain development skills
Blockchain developers might need skills in platforms like Ethereum, Polkadot, and Binance Smart Chain. Ethereum is the most popular among them. Ethereum blockchain developers need the following:
Hire expert developers for your next project
- Familiarity with EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine), the development platform on the Ethereum blockchain;
- Languages like Solidity or Vyper for developing Ethereum smart contracts;
- Experience in developing Ethereum DApps (Decentralized Apps);
- Experience in Ethereum blockchain development tools like Web3.js, Truffle suite of tools, and the Remix IDE;
- Familiarity with test blockchain networks like Ropsten;
- Knowledge of scaling Ethereum DApps.
Enterprise blockchain development skills
Depending on the choice of Enterprise blockchain framework, blockchain developers might need to know Hyperledger Fabric, R3 Corda, or ConsenSys Quorum. The skills vary accordingly.
Software engineering and software development process skills
Blockchain developers need a sound knowledge of the following:
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
- Software development methodologies and lifecycle models;
- Software architecture;
- UI design principles;
- Code review;
- Testing and DevOps processes, methods, and tools.
Blockchain developers need the following competencies:
- Passion for excellence;
- Commitment to the project requirements;
- An ability to understand the perspective of end-users;
- Communication skills;
- An ability to see the bigger picture.
Blockchain developers use specific skills and competencies to develop, test, and implement blockchain networks and applications. Hire blockchain developers from DevTeam.Space for your project.
Blockchain has many utilities, e.g., cryptocurrencies, DeFi (Decentralized Finance) apps, NFT (Non-Fungible Token)-based games, CBDCs (Central Bank Digital Currencies), supply chain traceability, facilitating cross-border payments and banking transactions, and digital identity management.
An Ethereum smart contract is a piece of code. It contains “If-Then-Else” statements. It transfers cryptographic assets based on conditions. Ethereum smart contracts are open-source, autonomous, immutable, and irreversible. Their executions are recorded on the Ethereum blockchain.
An Ethereum DApp is a web app with Ethereum smart contracts as the back-end. They are open-source apps, and they run on the Ethereum blockchain network. Ethereum DApps have cryptographic tokens. A consensus from the user community is needed before changing a DApp.