Want to know how enterprise companies will use VR and AI to succeed?
This is a very interesting question.
According to a study done by Grand View Research, “The global artificial intelligence market size is expected to reach USD 390.9 billion by 2025. The market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 46.2% from 2019 to 2025.”
This means that companies that lead in this space can not only leap ahead but can also make substantial sums of money too.
Why Do Enterprise VR, AR, and AI Technologies Matter?
Should you focus on AI, AR, and VR in your enterprise? You indeed should!
As a business leader, you can use AI to great effect in transforming your enterprise. As we have explained in “10 real-life examples of Artificial Intelligence”, you can use it in many areas, e.g.:
- Customer service;
- Fraud detection;
- Algorithmic trading;
- Purchase prediction.
AR has great value for your business too. A few industries where it can make a great difference are as follows:
- Interior design and decoration;
Read our guide “How to Create Augmented Reality Content for Your Business” for more insights.
Hire expert developers for your next project
Enterprises’ virtual reality will deliver great value across a wide range of industries, that are already beginning to use it to improve their customer outreach and operation efficiency. A few examples are healthcare and manufacturing.
Enterprises use VR to transform several functional areas, e.g.:
- Product prototyping and design;
- Employee training using virtual reality applications instead of traditional training methods;
- Collaboration using VR technology chat rooms;
- Designing safer workplace layouts;
- Remote maintenance and servicing of equipment.
As you would expect, both AR and VR have a growing market. The global market for AR was worth $4.21 billion in 2017, and it’s expected to grow up to $60.55 billion by 2023. On the other hand, the market for VR is expected to grow from $5.12 billion in 2017 to $34.08 billion by 2023. Read more about these forecasts in this MarketsandMarkets report.
I will now explain how you can lead your enterprise to greater heights using these technologies. You need to do the following:
1. Identify Areas Where You Will Implement Enterprise Artificial Intelligence and VR Solutions
AI, VR, and AR can make a big difference. However, you still have to choose the right areas where you will implement them, don’t you? To do this, first form a competent team with a project manager (PM), an IT architect, and a team of business analysts (BAs).
Lead intense discussions between this team and your business/operations stakeholders. Focus on the following:
- Which are the biggest opportunities for you?
- Which opportunities are the easiest to address?
Prioritize the biggest opportunities that are also the “low-hanging fruits”.
You will likely build a “Minimum Viable Product” (MVP) first. Based on its success, you could tweak your enterprise VR/AI solution. How do you launch an MVP in your enterprise? After all, you aren’t a start-up, and you have an existing business to run!
You can’t disrupt your core business, therefore, you need to ensure the following:
- You have enough people to run your core business;
- There are sufficient people to run your existing IT operations;
- You have the computing infrastructure to run your existing IT operations while building an MVP;
- Your existing IT applications/assets are secure when you build an MVP.
Need help? Our guide “How to build an enterprise MVP without disrupting your core business” is just what you need.
Based on structured discussions between your software development team and business stakeholders, decide on the features you will incorporate. You also need to prioritize the features for your MVP.
Do the following:
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us since 2016
- Analyze the impact of the proposed features on your customers and/or internal users. Use tools like the “pain and gain map” for this.
- Use tools like the “prioritization matrix” to prioritize the features for the MVP.
Wondering how you can use these tools and techniques? Check out our guide “5 tips to create a sleek MVP” for insights.
2. Plan Your Enterprise VR AI Development Project
How do you achieve success in this project? The answer lies in thorough planning.
Note that planning an AI development project involves a few specific considerations. These are as follows:
- Why would you use AI? Do you have a use case that will benefit from the “intelligent automation” that AI brings over traditional “rule-based automation”? Determine this.
- Which AI capabilities should you use? AI encompasses a wide range of capabilities, e.g., machine learning (ML), natural language processing (NLP), etc. Determine the capabilities you need.
- What is your source of data to “train” the proposed AI system? AI systems “learn” from a vast amount of data. The larger the dataset, the better your AI system “learns”! Identify your training dataset.
Need help with planning your AI development project? Our guide “AI development life cycle: Explained” is just what you need!
Subsequently, you need to plan other aspects of this project. What should you think through when you do this? Consider the following:
- What kind of apps are you developing? You will most likely develop web and mobile apps, however, which kind of mobile apps deliver the best value? I recommend that you develop native mobile apps since they offer the best “user experience” (UX) and performance.
- You need to protect your sensitive enterprise information, don’t you? Plan how you will secure your apps.
- How will you focus on development instead of spending time on IT infrastructure management? I recommend that you use cloud computing platforms for this.
- Which technologies should you use? Choose a technology stack that makes sense.
- Are there development tools that you could use? This might include AI development platforms, AR/VR development tools, and 3rd party SDKs/APIs. Identify the tools that meet your requirements.
- How would you develop your APIs? I recommend developing RESTful APIs since REST (Representational State Transfer) is the de-facto standard for API development.
- How would you develop high-quality software? Focus on coding guidelines, thorough testing, and systematic review.
- Plan to onboard competent people.
Are you looking for help with this planning? Check out our guide “What is the best development approach to guarantee the success of your app?”.
3. Find Cloud Platforms for Developing Your VR and Artificial Intelligence Enterprise Apps
Which cloud platforms can you use so that you can focus on development? You need to think about both web and mobile apps here.
For your web app, I recommend that you use AWS Elastic Beanstalk. It’s a “Platform-as-a-Service” (PaaS) offering from AWS.
You can get the following advantages if you use Elastic Beanstalk:
- It manages the cloud infrastructure, networking, operating system, middleware, and runtime environment. You dedicate time to development!
- You can easily integrate APIs, moreover, Elastic Beanstalk offers robust DevOps tools.
- You can scale your web app easily if you use a reputed PaaS platform.
Want to learn more about PaaS platforms? Read our guide “10 top PaaS providers”.
How about your mobile app? Well, I recommend that you use a “Mobile-Backend-as-a-Service” (MBaaS) platform for the mobile backend. AWS Amplify is a great choice since it offers the following advantages:
- Amplify manages cloud infrastructure and persistent storage. As a result, you don’t need to spend time building and managing the mobile backend. You can focus on the front-end and business logic.
- Amplify makes it easy to integrate APIs, moreover, you can implement features like “push notifications” and user management easily.
- You can scale your mobile app easily if you use an MBaaS platform.
Our guide “How to choose the best Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS)?” explains these advantages in detail.
Hire expert developers for your next project
4. Decide on the Tools and Technologies to Develop Your AI and Mixed Reality Enterprise Apps
Which tools and technologies should you use? I recommend the following:
- For VR development, consider Amazon Sumerian. You can build 3D immersive experiences with it. You can also create characters and scenes, publish VR assets, and edit them. Want to explore more VR development tools? Read our guide “10 great tools for VR Development”.
- Amazon Sumerian is great as an AR development tool too! Alternatively, you can explore other AR development tools like Vuforia and Wikitude. Our guide “The ultimate guide to choosing the right enterprise AR solution” can help you.
- You can use one among various cloud AI development platforms. Microsoft Azure AI platform and Google Cloud AI platforms are a few examples, however, you can find more in our guide “The best Artificial Intelligence software development tools”.
- You could also develop your AI software from scratch. Python is a great choice for AI/ML coding since it features powerful libraries. I have explained its advantages in our guide “Julia vs Python: Can this new programming language unseat the king?”.
- Use js for developing your planned web app. This open-source runtime environment helps to code performant and scalable web apps, and you can use many useful frameworks for better productivity. Read our guide “10 Great Tools for Node.Js Software Development” to understand its advantages.
- You could use Java to code your native Android app. Java helps to code scalable, performant, and secure Android apps, and most native Android developers know this language.
- Use Swift to code your proposed native iOS app. This modern language is highly popular due to its powerful features, moreover, you can code scalable and performant iOS apps with it. Check out our guide “How to migrate your Objective-C project to Swift?” for more information.
- You can use a few market-leading 3rd-party APIs to implement a few non-core features. One example is the “push notifications feature, and you can use “Firebase Cloud Messaging” (FCM) to implement it in your Android app. Use the “Apple Push Notifications service” (APNs) to implement this feature on your iOS app.
- You need database solutions when developing your RESTful APIs, don’t you? I recommend PostgreSQL if you need an RDBMS (Relational Database Management System). If you need to use a document database, then I recommend that you use MongoDB. Our guide “How to build RESTful API for your mobile app?” could help you to develop RESTful APIs.
5. Securing Your Enterprise VR AI App Proactively
You need to secure your sensitive enterprise data, don’t you? The key to this lies in proactively strategizing about application security. Do the following:
- Mitigate key application security vulnerabilities like injection, exposing sensitive information, broken authentication, etc.
- Include security and compliance testing in your CI/CD pipeline instead of treating them as low-priority tasks.
- Use tools and techniques like encryption, multi-factor authentication (MFA), real-time threat intelligence, next-generation firewalls, and antivirus solutions.
- Secure your APIs using techniques like authentication tokens, digital signatures, encryption, quotas, throttling, and secure gateways.
- Consider using a hybrid cloud deployment. This way, you can run workloads that process sensitive data on a private cloud.
Wondering how to secure your app? Check out our guide “How to secure your Fintech app”.
6. Onboard the Right People for Enterprise VR and AI Development
Which roles do you need in your development team? Onboard competent people for the following roles:
- UI designers;
- AR/VR developers;
- AI developers;
- Web developers;
- Native Android and iOS developers;
- DevOps engineers.
How to find competent people? We at DevTeam.Space can help! Read our guide “How to Find a Good Software Developer”.
You also need experienced code reviewers since you can’t detect all bugs with testing alone. Finding competent code reviewers can be hard, however, we at DevTeam.Space, are here to help! Read our guide “Why choosing DevTeam.Space to review your code can ensure your software product is a success”.
Implementing an enterprise solution involving technologies like AI, VR, and AR can be hard! Any AR/VR tech enterprise has its work cut out. End-to-end project management is the key to your success.
We, at DevTeam.Space, have just the capabilities you need, thanks to our data-driven Agile processes! Reach out to us via this link, and we will let you know how our field-expert software developers community can help you build a market-competitive enterprise VR solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
VR and AR can benefit a business environment in the following ways:
Improve recruitment using VR experience;
Transform employee onboarding using VR;
Improve employee training programs using a VR headset;
Retail businesses help customers try their products virtually using AR;
Improve manufacturing processes using AR;
Provide information like route information to tourists with AR, VR headsets, and GPS-enabled mobile apps.
The following are well-known examples of AR-powered apps from enterprises:
The IKEA mobile app lets shoppers understand what their homes will look like after they position pieces of furniture.
The L’Oréal makeup app lets consumers try makeup virtually.
The following are prominent examples of VR in enterprises:
Walmart uses VR to train its customer service representatives.
Volvo uses VR to allow potential customers to test-drive its XC90 SUV virtually.