How to Create a Social Media App Like TikTok
Do you dream of creating a social media app like TikTok with millions of active users worldwide?
If you are a startup founder or an executive that is looking to expand your business into new markets then creating the next big social media app is a great way to see your company on the next front cover of Forbes magazine.
In this article, we will explore how to create a social media app like TikTok including examing the features that made it the most downloaded app of 2021.
DevTeam.Space is a community of expert app developers and dev teams that has been helping businesses create their next-level software projects for years. Here are a few recent apps that were created with the help of DevTeam.Space developers:
- Rever – Mapping App with Social Media Functions
- DentaMatch – Healthcare Android and iOS App
- Mejorate – Healthcare Android and iOS Application
Today’s world is ruled by social media. Instagram and Tik Tok for image and video sharing, LinkedIn for making professional connections, Snapchat for sharing daily life snippets, Quora is a question and answer resource and a discussion forum, Tumblr is like maintaining an online blogging diary, Yelp provides social media users with local business reviews, and so on.
In order to understand why these apps succeed, let’s examine TikTok to find out why it has become the fastest-rising app of recent times. After we have done this, we will move on to our step-by-step how you can create a similar social networking application.
TikTok – What is the hype?
TikTok app is a global version of the Chinese entertainment app, Douyin, created by the Chinese company, ByteDance, in 2016. It is a video streaming social media networking application.
Alex Zuhu, the founder of TikTok, worked on the idea of combining video recording, editing, and social networking in one app. Users record short videos and share them instantly with their social network.
The main feature is the availability of music to which a user can either lip-sync or add as a backgroundto their videos. TikTok is extremely popular among the younger millennial and Z generation.
Quick TikTok Statistics:
Following are some of the statistics on where the TikTok app stands globally.
- TikTok is the fastest growing app with 315 million first-time downloads.
- The TikTok app generated 50.4 million US dollars in February 2020.
- According to Statista’s latest report in July 2021, Saudi Arabia is the leading market with $4.8 million in revenue from the TikTok app on the iOS app store. The United States follows with $3 million.
- On Google Playstore, Saudi Arabia generated $10 million through TikTok, accounting for 44 percent of TikTok’s global revenue. Turkey follows with $3.83 million in revenue.
- 25% of TikTok’s audience is between 19 and 25 years of age.
- The audience is growing at the rate of 85.3% in the United States.
- There are 18.74 million TikTok downloads on the Google Play Store and 10.07 million downloads on the Apple App Store worldwide.
- Addison Rae is the highest-earning content creator on TikTok, making $5 million annually.
- The United States is the leading country for TikTok influencers.
- In the United States only, the total number of TikTok users is 65.9 million.
- TikTok is showing drastically increased engagement than Instagram and Facebook on similar posts.
A Deeper Look into the TikTok Features:
A few features on TikTok are the same as on other social media apps like Instagram and Snapchat.
These include admin features such as signup/login, options to edit profile, messaging, push notifications, functionality to react to different content with a like, share, or save, some filters, and editing effects, etc.
However, some other features make TikTok stand out from other similar apps like Dubmush, Vimeo, and Vines.
Following are some distinguishable features on TikTok:
Short Video Recording and Uploading: Users can record short-form content that is uploaded instantly.
Video Editing: There are numerous options for video editing before posting. Options to trim the video, fast forward it, apply filters on it to change the effects.
With Augmented reality (AR) filters, different scenarios can be added over the original video, i.e. changed eye color, flowers in the hair, hats, doggy ears, etc. Filters can also change the skin tones or smoothen them.
Social Connections: TikTok allows different TikTokers to connect across social media apps. Users can share their TikTok content on Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Live Streaming: TikTok users with 1000 followers can interact with their audience by going live. The followers can send virtual gifts to their favorite influencers, who, in turn, cash them. The feature is unique to TikTok and a great way to boost TikTok earnings for influencers.
Geolocation: TikTok allows sharing live location-based content in real-time. In this way, users also get to know other TikTokers in their proximity.
Personalized Content: Machine Learning algorithms allow the platform to show personalized content feed to each user. Users can choose the content they want to see. The algorithm displays content according to the user’s preferences.
Following are some other features that have made TikTok popular:
Duet: Users can perform (lip-sync and dance) to music and invite others to join them.
Reactions: A feature to record a user’s reaction to particular music. The music plays in the background and is selected from the music library available on TikTok.
Hashtags: Hashtags on social media apps are used to make content go viral. They are used by people talking about the same trending topic.
TikTokers use hashtags to invite other people for a duet challenge or other trending challenges. ‘Walk Challenge’ was one such TikTok trend where different people shared ‘their walks’ in response to the song ‘walk’ released by rapper Saucy Santana. Users add hashtags in the caption of their videos.
Now that you have a good idea of trending features in social media, let’s see how we can create a popular social media app like TikTok.
Step-By-Step Guide on How to Make a Social Media App Like TikTok
- Research Target Niche and Audience
- Map out a Business Model
- Hire professional team for app development
- App Development
- Choose a technology stack
- Develop an MVP (minimum viable product)
- Release and Advertise the app
- Conduct a Feedback Survey
Research Target Niche and Audience:
Getting to know your target audience is the first step to create a social media app. Before investing in an app like TikTok, one must understand the market dynamics.
What is the age group you want to target? What is trending among that particular age group? What are competitors offering? In which features are users most interested?
Answers to these questions will help you design your business model and your new social media software product.
Map Out a Business Model
There are already a lot of competitors in the market. To stand out from the other popular social media apps, you must offer something unique. You should create innovative features and do the research to ensure they are what will hit your users and make them want to use your app.
For example, if you want to target young entrepreneurs through a social media app. You can provide different marketing features on your app that help the users advertise their product/service to a larger audience.
You can also add a product display option for small businesses. The features can include store customization through different layouts, links to shop directly, etc. The key is to offer something that appeals to your target market.
You are not here to invest your time, money, and creativity for nothing. So, the next important thing to decide is your business workflow. How will you monetize it? There are a few methods already in use for monetization by social media networks.
You can pitch your business idea to investors. People are willing to fund startups with growth potential. You can raise funds for the initial rollout of the app.
Different ad models are already being proven to work in the digital marketing domain. You can run ads from different businesses on your app for financial rewards, etc.
Different payment models for advertisers are:
- Cost per Click (CPC), where a click on an ad charges an advertiser.
- Cost per Action (CPA), where a definite action leading to revenue generation charges an advertiser.
- Cost per Thousand Impressions (CPM – In Latin, M stands for thousand) where advertisers pay if there are a thousand impressions on their ads. The impression means that the ad loads on a web page irrespective of user click or buy.
The app creator can always reserve premium features for users who pay for an upgrade.
TikTok uses TikTok coins as an in-app purchase. Users can buy these coins for real money and send virtual gifts to their favorite influencers. TikTok influencers can convert these gifts to real money. These coins are available in bundles of 100 to 1000 for 99 cents to 99.99 US dollars.
The next step is to hire experts to get the job done. The app developers team may include:
- UI/UX designer: to help design the app interface offering the best user experience.
- Frontend developer: mobile app developers specialize in Android and Apple apps. You can hire according to your target market. They are mainly working on the front end of the Android or iOS app.
- Backend developer: help in connection with servers and databases.
- QA Engineer to perform feature testing and quality assurance before app deployment.
Depending on your budget, you can hire an in-house team of developers or outsource expert developers on a part-time or permanent basis. Outsourcing is generally a cheaper option overall as it does not involve the requirement to keep staff hired on a permanent basis.
If you decide to hire software developers, then you have the following options:
- Hiring on a freelance platform;
- Hiring from a trustworthy software development company.
You might be able to hire a freelancer for a low hourly rate. However, freelance platforms don’t provide management support. You might find it hard to manage a project with part-time freelancers. Freelancers might leave your project mid-way, and you need to find replacements.
Hire expert developers for your next project
1,200 top developers
us over the last 3 years
Reputed software development companies provide full-time developers. They encourage their programmers to regularly upgrade their skills, therefore, you get motivated developers. These companies provide management support. They also provide replacements in the case of turnovers.
Our guide on choosing a software development company can help you find a better social media app development team.
Mobile App Development:
Your software development team should be involved as early as possible to help you with the app development process. Starting with the design where they help outline the requirements and timeframes, etc., of creating basic functionalities, help to outline the required technology stack, cost estimation, project deployment plan, future app updates, etc.
Choosing a Technology Stack for a Social Media Application:
Next, let’s discuss what technologies are required to create a social media app like TikTok.
Native iOS app development
Programming languages like Swift and Objective-C are used for native iOS app development. Both work very well with iOS. However, Swift is a more modern language.
Apple prefers that developers use Swift to develop apps for its platforms like iOS, macOS, watchOS, tvOS, etc. Swift enables programmers to achieve a lot despite coding less. The language has robust security features. You can create high-performance apps using this feature-rich language.
Native Android app development
Java, a popular language has been a mainstay for native Android development for a long time. Nowadays, many programmers use Kotlin for developing native Android apps.
Both Java and Kotlin offer powerful features. They help programmers to avoid common programming errors. You can create highly scalable and performant Android apps using these languages.
Many developers already know Java, and there’s a rich ecosystem of tools and libraries for it. Kotlin is relatively new, and that’s the main difference.
We recommend you use REST (Representational State Transfer), the de-facto standard for API development. You need databases for this. If you need a SQL database, then PostgreSQL and MySQL are good options. Use MongoDB or Apache Cassandra If you need a NoSQL database. Our article on the latest Software Development trends discusses technologies and frameworks widely in use today.
Cloud computing platforms
Today, cloud computing services like cloud storage, cloud servers, cross-platform app development are also in demand. Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure are leading cloud service providers.
You might need different types of cloud computing platforms based on your requirements. E.g., a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) platform can help with web app development.
PaaS platforms manage the cloud infrastructure, operating system, middleware, and runtime environment. AWS Elastic Beanstalk is an example. You bring your code and data.
An MBaaS (Mobile-Backend-as-a-Service) platform can help with mobile development. MBaaS platforms like AWS Amplify manage the cloud infrastructure and persistent storage. You can develop and manage the mobile back-end easily, thanks to PaaS platforms.
Other APIs and tools
Different APIs can be integrated to create functionalities. Example APIs include:
- Google Cloud Messaging or Apple Push Notification Server for notification feature;
- Google Maps API or Apple MapKit for Geolocation feature;
- ML Kit for Augmented Reality Filters;
- Amazon Simple Email Service for signup feature.
Developing an MVP:
Now that your development team is ready to move forward, you should focus on developing a minimum viable product (MVP). An MVP contains the minimum or basic features of an app, allowing you to launch it to gain valuable customer feedback.
Creating a product with all the features and then releasing it is an expensive process. A feasible approach is to design and develop an app with the main features. The product is then developed incrementally based on users’ feedback.
Key steps to develop an MVP
Take the following steps to develop the MVP:
- Design a great UI (user interface). Follow the Material Design guidelines for Android, and consult the Human Interface Guidelines for iOS.
- Use appropriate IDEs (Integrated Development Environments). Examples are Android Studio for Android development and Xcode for iOS development.
- Design and create a robust security solution. Use MFA (multi-factor authentication) and data encryption. Proactively mitigate top application security risks.
- Develop own APIs where applicable. Design the API endpoints carefully. Create effective rules for API requests and responses. Secure APIs using encryption and secure API gateways.
- Integrate 3rd party APIs and your own APIs into your code.
- Test the app using relevant tools. Examples are Espresso for Android and XCTest for iOS.
- Follow the Android developer documentation for publishing an Android app to Google Play. Use the Apple App Store guidelines to publish an iOS app.
App Release and Marketing:
You should have devised a dynamic marketing strategy for your app so that your target audience already knows about it before its launch. In the era of digital marketing, you can adopt many approaches. If you don’t have one, you should hire a marketing specialist.
Some common ways to advertise a mobile app include:
- Running paid ads on other social media platforms. You can use Google Adwords and partner with other apps for cross-promotion.
- Onboarding bloggers and influencers to help. They market your app among their followers, and in return, you pay them.
- Optimizing your social media app and promoting it on app stores like Google Play and Apple store. App Store Optimization (ASO) is an effective way to get more downloads for your app by improving the app ranking. It includes:
- Using a proper heading title
- Adding an interesting app description
- Creating an appealing app icon
Once your mobile app is in the market, you can start gauging users’ feedback. Users leave their reviews on the App store. Additionally, you can carry out surveys on social media platforms, etc. This will help you create the best possible end product that satisfies your audience.
Developing a social network app today is a difficult task that requires lots of expertise if you are going to create an application that beats the competition.
With the right business idea, app design, and development experts, you can launch the next viral social media app.
If you have a creative app idea but are unsure about the technical aspects, why not reach out to enquire about DevTeam.Space’s expert mobile app developers who can help you convert your creative dream into the next global social media app.
Around 1000+ hours are required to create an app like TikTok. The social media app development cost starts from $40,000 and increases according to the app features.
The United States and India temporarily banned the app due to national security concerns. Indonesia, Bangladesh, and Pakistan temporarily banned TikTok, stating the content is not per their societal values.
TikTokerare making their career out of TikTok in several ways according to the user engagement on their profile.
TikTok has set aside $200 million as a Creator Fund. It is expected to reach $1 billion in three years. There are some demographic and content engagement conditions to fulfill before applying for a reward from the Creator fund.
They convert virtual gifts from their followers to real money.
Influencers collaborate with different brands for influencer marketing.